We want to keep you informed and provide the services and information you need, while remaining committed to protecting your privacy and data.
We use the information that we collect about you in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2018.
Collecting information about you
We prefer to collect the information we need directly from you. That way, you know what we have, and we can be sure you’ve provided us with the most accurate and up to date information. We will usually do this:
- When you start to do business with us
- When you contact us for any reason
- If you complete an online form
- If you provide us with your business card
- If you visit our website
- When you apply for job opportunities
- When you register for our mailing list
- Information held
The information we collect about you may vary based on what services and information we provide to you. Typically we need:
Your name, job title and address so we know who you are and what services you need from us.
Your telephone number, email address and contact details so that we can keep in touch with you about your account.
We only collect information about you that we need to make sure you get the best service from us. We respect your privacy and we try to minimise what we do collect.
We may gather information when you visit our website, such as which pages you visit or how long you spend reading a particular page. This data helps us to improve your online experience.
We collect personal information (such as information on your CV) when you apply for job opportunities.
We keep a record of meeting with you and emails we send you, and occasionally even track whether you receive or open them so we can make sure we are sending you the most relevant information.
How do we use your data?
We use your data to:
- Provide you with the services you want
- Keep you informed with news about how the Port is doing and activity at Lerwick Harbour
- Let you know about changes in our services or new services we feel may be beneficial to you
- Invite you to events
- Look after your relationship with us, including:
- Seeking your views on any service we provide
- Dealing with any problems, enquiries, or complaints you may have
- Resolving queries on billing and payment
- Keeping our records accurate and up to date
- Comply with any legal or contractual obligations we may have
- Measure the effectiveness of the website
- Enable you to apply for jobs and keep you informed on the progress of any job application you have made
We will not share any of your personal details with any third party without your agreement, unless we are required to do so in order to fulfil our contract with you, or for legal reasons allowed by law.
The third-party providers used by us to fulfil our promise to you will only collect, use and disclose your information to the extent necessary to allow them to perform the services they provide to us. Any providers will be carefully selected professional contractors who help us provide you with our services. We have legally binding contractual agreements in place with any providers we may use to ensure that your data is secure at all times, and cannot be accessed or used for any other purpose.
You're in control
Unless you ask us not to, we will provide you with information about our services, events, invitations and news. You can opt out of any of these communications at any time. Every time we communicate with you we will include details on how to do this.
How do we keep your data safe?
We aim to collect accurate and up-to-date information so that we can provide you with the best customer service possible.
We take great care to keep the information we hold about you safe and secure, with up to date physical and technical security.
Our policies and processes ensure your information is only available to employees who need to see it to do their job, those employees are fully trained for this responsibility and are aware of their duties.
Our contracts with any third parties extend these protections to any other person or organisation we may need to give your information to.
You have the following rights related to your personal data:
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to ensure any errors in data held are corrected
- The right to have any data held unnecessarily deleted
- The right to request us to stop processing your personal data
- The right to transfer your data for your own purposes
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office
Changes to this Policy
We’re keen to promote our services and events which we think you may be interested in and from time to time we may contact you with news we think may interest you. Every time we contact you we will give you the opportunity to stop hearing from us.
Please Contact Us if you have any questions or wish to be removed from any communications.